- right lower quadrant tenderness (+2)
- elevated temperature (37.3°C or 99.1°F) (+1)
- rebound tenderness (+1)
- migration of pain to the right lower quadrant (+1)
- anorexia (+1)
- nausea or vomiting (+1)
- leukocytosis >10,000 (+2)
- leukocytosis left shift (+1)
- 5-6 compatible with acute appendicitis
- 7-8 probable acute appendicitis
- 9-10 very probable acute appendicitis
The score can be useful for decision making when evaluating nonspecific imaging or equivocal ultrasound findings .
The score may be more useful for ruling out appendicitis with a score <5, than "ruling in" appendicitis with a >7 score .
History and etymology
Alfredo Alvarado (fl. 2020) is an American-Colombian general surgeon, who is still practising in Florida in the United States .