The intervertebral foramina allow passage of structures out of and into the vertebral canal.
- anterior - lower posterolateral aspect of a vertebral body and the intervertebral disc below, in the thoracic and lumbar regions.
- in the cervical region a portion of the vertebral body below, predominately the uncinate process, also contributes to the anterior boundary; also, because the pedicle arises more inferiorly from the back of the vertebral body, a small portion of the vertebral body inferior to the disc is also included in the anterior boundary.
- posterior- facet joint and associated fibrous joint capsule
- superior- inferior vertebral notch of the pedicle
- inferior- superior vertebral notch of the pedicle below