Musculus flexor digitorum brevis
The flexor digitorum brevis muscle lies immediately superior to the plantar aponeurosis and inferior to the tendons of the flexor digitorum longus in the sole of the foot.
- origin: medial process of calcaneal tuberosity and plantar aponeurosis
- insertion: sides of plantar surface of middle phalanges of 2-5 digits
- action: flexes lateral four toes at proximal interphalangeal joint
- arterial supply: medial and lateral plantar arteries and plantar arch, plantar metatarsal and plantar digital artery
- innervation: medial plantar nerve from tibial nerve