Meningeal enhancement is a generic term related to the enhancement of the membranes that envelop the brain and spinal cord. Due the anatomical features, this enhancement can be divided in two subtypes:
- leptomeningeal enhancement (pial or pial-arachnoid enhancement)
- dural (pachymeningeal) enhancement (dura-arachnoid enhancement )
Combined pachymeningeal and leptomeningeal enhancement may occur, usually being focal and associated with a vascularized extra-axial tumor (e.g. metastases and lymphoma) or inflammatory process (e.g. TB and sarcoidosis).
It is important to note that the thin arachnoid membrane is attached to the inner surface of the dura mater, and so the pachymeningeal pattern of enhancement can also be described as a dura-arachnoid enhancement .
On the other hand, the enhancement of the brain surface is also called as pial or pial-arachnoid enhancement, often referred to as leptomeningeal enhancement .
- Meningeosis neoplastica
- dural enhancement
- meningeale Tuberkulose
- leptomeningeale Kontrastmittelanreicherungen
- zerebrale Kryptokokkose
- extramedulläre Blutbildung intrakraniell
- meningeal leukemia
- meningeale Sarkoidose
- primäre diffuse leptomeningeale Gliomatose (PDLG)
- hyperintense Meningen