Gardner syndrome is one of the polyposis syndromes. It is characterized by:
- familial adenopolyposis
- multiple osteomas: especially of the mandible, skull, and long bones
- epidermal cysts
- desmoid tumors of mesentery and anterior abdominal wall
Other abnormalities include:
There is an autosomal dominant inheritance in the FAP gene (chromosome 5q) in a majority of patients but with 20% of cases resulting from new mutations. Extracolonic features often precede the diagnosis of colonic polyps.
History and etymology
First described in 1953 by Gardner and Richards .
- polyposis syndromes
- Familiäre adenomatöse Polyposis
- papilläres Schilddrüsenkarzinom
- abnormal dentition
- obligate Präkanzerose
- Gardner's syndrome associated fibromas