Germ cell tumors of the ovary
Germ cell tumors of the ovary account for approximately 15-20% of all ovarian tumors. In children and adolescents, up to 60% of ovarian tumors can be of germ cell origin.
- ovarian teratoma(s): commonest primary benign tumor of ovary and commonest germ cell tumor:
- ovarian dysgerminoma
- ovarian yolk sac tumor: endodermal sinus tumor
- ovarian embryonal carcinoma
- ovarian choriocarcinoma
- pure primary ovarian choriocarcinoma: extremely rare
- malignant mixed germ cell tumor of the ovary
Treatment and prognosis
Most germ cell tumors are benign although up to 30% can be malignant.